Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My Little Kindergartener!

Elena was excited about starting school.  Like jumping up-and-down and squealing excited.  She drew her teacher a picture (and even rolled it up and tied it with a ribbon) and gave it to her at the Open House.  She laid out her clothes and shoes the night before the first day and had her bag all packed and ready to go.

I only slept about 4 hours the night before.  I just lay there thinking about how much she was going to love it and going through my mental list to make sure that everything was ready. When I was teaching kindergarten, I could never sleep the night before the first day either.  New school years are so fun: new experiences, freshly sharpened pencils, new shoes, and crayons with perfect points.

Elena is in afternoon kindergarten and didn't have to catch the bus until almost 11.  It was a LONG morning for her, but she was as patient as she could be.  Dan was working nights that week, so we were both able to wave goodbye as the bus drove off.  The bus that picks her up midday is kindergarten only and it pulls up to the house (actually we have to walk one house away to the corner).  When school lets out, I drive over the school (about 1 mile away) with the boys and pick her up.  I am really happy with her school so far.  Good thing since this school is the reason that we live here and Dan has a 35 minute commute on a good traffic day.  There are excellent teachers and programs.  Starting in first grade, they have a partial Spanish immersion program. 

I was really worried that Kevin would be inconsolable after Elena left, but he did alright. He wants to go to school too.  Thank goodness PBS started a new show: "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood" that week.  Elena's bus came and I got to say, "Okay, Kevin, let's go in and watch Daniel Tiger."  It really helped him with the transition actually.  He wore his new school shoes (they are just like Elena's - SAME SIZE even, but different colors) all day.  It made him feel special that he got new shoes too.  Kevin started his little story time preschool class at the library last week.


Needless to say, Elena had a great first day.  She loves school - especially center time.  She has several little friends in her class and has made friends on the bus too.  She has already gotten into trouble for excessive talking once - no big surprise there if you know her or her parents. ;) 

There are 2 Elena's in her class (so she'll be Elena D. all year) and 4 on her bus.  Ummm...oops!  Who knew that "Elena" would be so popular in 2012-13 kindergarten?  One of the girls named "Elena" on her bus lives just down the street. Have you met any other young Elenas?  I think the name popularity was something like #170 back in 2007.  Crazy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So cute! As a Jessica, I have always felt that I'm going to be very careful about what names are popular when I'm choosing names.... But then when it comes down to it I guess it's hard to know! I would never have expected that at #170, she'd know 4 others in her same grade at school!

Mom said...

What cuties! They are growing much too fast!
Love,
Granny